Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Robbie Burns 1759-1796

Dear Diary:


Today is Robbie Burns Day and I, along with the Scots, and all others of descent, celebrate the birthday of the national poet of Scotland. He was a poet but also collected Scottish folk songs often adapting or revising them.  One of his most famous poems and songs is "Auld Lang Syne" often sung at New Year's.  To find out about his life or his works, there have been new books just published this past year and most are available at libraries or book stores





My paternal Grandfather was born in Scotland so my father always celebrated Robbie Burns Day with a group of friends.  My Dad would come back from the celebration with tales of the traditional meal - haggis, neeps and tatties.  Robbie Burns wrote a poem called "To a Haggis", where he describes the dish as a "Great chieftain O'the puddin'-race". At the formal dinner, the haggis is always brought in the room heralded by a bagpiper.  I always wanted to experience this gastronomical affair...and I finally did.  The neeps (mashed turnips) and tatties (mashed potato) were great and the haggis...hmmmm...needed some getting used to.  If you'd like to try it, the recipe for making haggis can be found here.


I visited Taugh Ard in my other life and while touring around the countryside, I found this picturesque old library.
Once inside, I sat looking at old manuscripts.
Celebrating this day will always be a tradition with me and visiting this place today was perfect.


Good Night for now.


I'm wearing:
Skin: LeLutka Ava (light)
Eyes: Miriel Hazel (no longer available)
Eyelashes: LeLutka Seductress
Hair: DBS Winnifer
Nails: Candy Nail Basic nails Red 01


Dress: The Secret Store Scottish Dahlia
Shoes: MsD010 sculpt shoe Sangria


Earrings: PC studded gold circles
Bracelet: Glow Studio thin gold bracelets (gift)


Poses: Olive Juice (Heart your face)


Location: Taugh Ard - Spirit of Scotland